Friday, November 12, 2010

A Child in Need

Being a mother of four tends to be very exhausting. I hate to admit. So many times my daughter, Lily, wants to play something with me, but it has to be those times when I am the busiest. Go figure. In my heart I want to, but my flesh is either too tired, too busy, or just simply doesn't want to. Most of the time, it's busy. But I realized, that if I can just find a little time to give to her completely, she is a lot more content and I can move on to my business or busy-ness.
It is just like that in a marriage. I expect to have some quality time with my husband, the kind where we are just emerging into each other and not hanging out together watching tv, or reading, but actually talking and sipping on some coffee or tea. It does wonders! It fills up our "love-tank."
It is just as important to fill up her love tank. Just a little time with her each day, to make her feel special and important, as she is, to do something that she wants, the way she wants to, can free me up too. It can be playing, singing her songs, reading her a book, playing outside, painting her toenails, you name it.
She does so much for me. I ask her to clean her toys, she does it. I ask her to keep it quiet cause the baby is sleeping, she does for about a minute and then I have to remind her again, but she does it. I ask her to share a snack with her sister, she is glad to...it's because she loves me and values my requests. So, why couldn't I do the same? I'm not talking about what she needs, but what she wants.
My boys need me just as much. I didn't really think that they did, but I see how much they miss me when they go to school, and ask me to hang out with them in their room at night and just talk, read together, solve riddles, or make up silly songs. I'm safe as long as I don't have to play Star Wars.
The important thing is, that in order to have less need, we have to give more as parents. Soon enough they will need other people in their lives ultimately, their spouses. That's when we will wish to have had a little more time with them. Now is our time...

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How blessed our children are, to have a mother like you! You amaze me every day. Love you, Gorgeous. --M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thank you, Sweety! I'm blessed to have these children and especially you!!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petra, I love this post. I actually told myself a few days ago as I was wishing no one needed anything from me, that pretty soon no WILL need anything from me so I need to remember to cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! I'm trying to be there for them as much as I can. I want them to always be able to come to me with everything and confide in me. I have to set that standard now, that way by the time they are teenagers they will be used to coming to me and not feel awkward to share their feelings and issues. I would hate it if they turned to their friend's parents for advice.

    ReplyDelete