Thursday, March 25, 2010

Taraxacum officinale

My son, Caleb, is just like his daddy when it comes to flowers. Everywhere we go he picks me flowers (and sometimes leaves), but I've gotten a lot of different kinds of flowers from him, daddy might have to arm-wrestle him for who has gotten me more.
I try to save all the little flowers he picks me, cause one day I would like to take them out of all my big books, that I let them dry in, and put them into one scrapbook.

Caleb, however, usually picks me......Dandelions. Yes, weeds! I honestly believe that I have the world's largest collection.
Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) means "lion's teeth." The name derives from the appearance of it's flowers.
The leaves contain high levels of potassium and it is great in reducing high blood pressure. The Dandelion root is one of the most effective detoxifying herbs; it is good for your liver, kidneys, and gallbladder.
So, it is even a healthy flower. I think I'll put it in my salad next time.

You know what, those Dandelions are so special to me! When I see him coming to me smiling and with one in his hands, his anticipation of what my reaction will be, is priceless. He knows he just made me happy and I sure let him know that he did. With a thankful heart I accept, and excited I go put it in one of my books to dry.

2 comments:

  1. Petra, when my son Rob was a little boy, he would bring me flowers all the time, mostly dandelions. I would get so excited at receiving them, and especially with the look on his face, knowing he was making me happy. I would fill a little Dixie cup full of water, put the flowers in the cup, and put the cup in the kitchen window sill until they eventually died. Thinking of those days always makes me smile. I am partial to dandelions to this day and I know it's because of him. And, yes, dandelions are the perfect food for turtles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, somehow I missed this comment. I'm sorry for not replying sooner.
    It's nice to see that other moms value dandelions. Not that they are so pretty, but because it is a weed, but to that sweet child it is something precious to give to their mom. I find that so cute.

    ReplyDelete